Sunday, May 14, 2006

Apple #169: It's That Time Again

JUNE 22 UPDATE


SORRY, I'VE STOPPED TAKING REQUESTS FOR NOW. I'LL PROBABLY DO THIS AGAIN IN THE FUTURE, THOUGH, SO DESPAIR NOT.



Yes, I've decided, once again, to ask you, my reader, for suggestions. What daily mystery intrigues you? Is there a word or phrase that, when you think about it, strikes you as particulary odd and you'd like to know where the heck it came from? Did you come across some reference to some historical event that you know you're supposed to know all about, but truthfully, you couldn't say for sure what happened, and you'd like to know more? Have you always wanted to know who invented your favorite food, game, or tool? Curious about the meaning of some pop song?

In short, if you've got a question, ask me. I'll look it up for you. I'll post the answers here.

Just one thing: I know for a fact that kids from elementary schools read postings on this blog now and then, and so do people from countries all around the world. So please keep your requests suitable for all readers.

Post your requests in the comment field below this entry.

4 comments:

  1. Hows ‘bout one on Nintendo, or bottled water, or Emma Goldman, or computer fonts, or bed bugs, or watermelons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting relatives this summer, and I'm confused by the whole first, second, third cousin thing. Also what's with once, twice, thrice removed? Can you tell us what these distinctions mean? Thanks.

    Alice Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Barbara Lauterbach, kiwi fruit, the name "Shmuley," and/or pants?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to know the history because "bless you" after a sneeze. I think it's quite amazing that across the board, in all countries, when you sneeze you are blessed after. Why? Why the sneeze and not the cough? Back in the ancient times they did not know that your heart skips a beat when you sneeze, so why did they choose the sneeze as a blessing point?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

If you're a spammer, there's no point posting a comment. It will automatically get filtered out or deleted. Comments from real people, however, are always very welcome!